Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation. For more information click here.
What We’re Doing at Kierland Commons
- The center offers centralized recycling dumpsters for use by our retailers. We are planning a transition to full service recycling, where all waste is separated and only “true waste” is discarded.
- Our Security Staff conducts patrols of the center using electrically powered vehicles and bikes, instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- We switched our holiday lighting from incandescent to LED. This change has resulted in lowering our carbon footprint.
- We’ve greatly improved our coordination with office tenants to adjust energy usage through coordinated HVAC schedules.
- Several electrical and storage rooms have been equipped with motion sensor lighting switches. These sensors prevent the lighting of empty spaces and help save energy.
- We are proud to have received BREEAM Certification and are committed to achieving carbon neutrality by 2030 through measures such as the implementation of drought-resistant landscaping, using low-flow fixtures and monitoring technology to minimize waste and preserve freshwater resources.